Retaining Top Talent

Retaining Top Talent
from the Turning Good People Into Top Talent blog series
By Bob Moore, CMC

retaining winning talent

According to LinkedIn’s Talent Trends 2014 study, 85% of the global workforce considers themselves to be on the job market.  These employees are either actively searching for or passively open to the prospect of leaving their current job.   This means only 15% of employees actually intend to stay with their current employer.

It may seem like the odds are stacked against you when it comes to retaining winning talent.  However, there are some steps you can take to improve the odds of keeping good team members.  Losing talented team members who know your processes, clients and industry can be very costly.

For example, communicating that you recognize their capabilities and taking an interest in their professional development can be a very cost effective retention plan.  Routinely meet with each employee and ask questions like:

  • Where do you see yourself professionally in a year?
  • What about five years?
  • How satisfied are you with the work you’re currently doing?
  • What leadership programs do you think would be beneficial to your development?

By answering these questions, your employee communicates his or her goals for the future. This also provides an opportunity for you to align those goals and prepare him or her for the next promotion.

Discover how you can improve your retention strategies.
Get the Free Retaining Winning Talent:  Self-Assessment

Enter Your Email Address Below. 

We respect your email privacy

Previous Post

More on Retaining Top Talent

Next Post

The Total Talent Management System